Forums » News and Announcements

New York Giants star receiver Odell Beckham Jr. may ne

• 230 posts
    January 10, 2019 8:37 AM IST
    ed to choose his words more carefully.The NFL's highest-paid receiver created a stir Friday when ESPN released an interview from this week in which the 25-year-old wondered why the team isn't throwing the ball farther downfield and playing with more energy.The possible cause of his frustration? Four games into the season [url=http://www.authenticsneworleanssaints.com/cheap-t-shirts]New Orleans Saints T-Shirt[/url] , Beckham hasn't caught a touchdown pass. Beckham said the Giants (1-3), who travel to Carolina (2-1) on Sunday, need to get on a run.Here's how he answered the ESPN question about "the biggest heart of the issue" for the Giants."How come we can't throw the ball for more than 20 yards? How come we don't attempt or try to throw the ball for more than 20 yards?" Beckham said. "Those are questions that we have to figure out, but for now I would say it's our heart, it's our energy. It's what we bring when we line up before the game, all of that. It counts."The Giants have completed only two passes of more than 30 yards or more this season, and they have only nine passes of 20 yards or greater.Beckham was not in the locker room after practice on Friday to discuss his comments. The catalyst of the Giants' offense has been on his best behavior this season and more mature after missing most of last season with a broken ankle.While he didn't throw anyone under the bus, his words indicated he's upset about losing games.Quarterback Eli Manning brushed off reporters who approached him for comment. A team spokesman said the 37-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner who has been under scrutiny had a television interview. He never returned to the locker room.Coach Pat Shurmur said he was aware of Beckham's comments made during a sit down with ESPN reporter Josina Anderson. The coach said he hadn't seen them. He refused to look at them when a reporter offered to let him read them."I do know we're making an effort to do what it takes to score points. I think, if you remember our first drive, the ball didn't travel down the field, but our team did," Shurmur said referring to the Giants opening touchdown drive against the New Orleans Saints. "That's the most important piece and we will continue to try and throw the ball down the field and get the ball down the field and complete it to our playmakers however we need to do it."When pressed about the comments, Shurmur said Beckham should be the one address them. The coach added execution was the problem for the offense, not energy.Beckham, who signed a five-year, $95 million contract extension in training camp, is having a good season coming off his injury. He leads the team with 31 catches for 331 yards, a 10.7-yard average. But he has not caught a touchdown.Shurmur said he talked to Beckham on Friday but wouldn't divulge the topics.Fellow receiver Sterling Shepard initially refused to comment on what Beckham said. He later said the players have had a good energy level in practice and need to execute.He felt Beckham might be referring to energy level before the start of games. He said players all approach it differently. Some are quiet while others get amped up."Some guys want to sit in the locker and look over plays," Shepard said. "Some guys want to get rowdy and that's what kind of personality he has. That's what he likes to see."Veteran cornerback Michael Thomas wasn't worried Beckham's comment would be taken the wrong way."He's passionate, but we can't let our emotions get the best of us [url=http://www.authenticsneworleanssaints.com/cheap-hats]New Orleans Saints Hats[/url] ," Thomas said. "He wants to win and do his job, and everybody has to. Everybody has to go out and execute and do their jobs. I don't look at it as distracting or anything like that. That's who he is. He is passionate. He wants to be great and make plays. We all do."NOTES: Linebacker Olivier Vernon was close to getting on the field this week, but he'll miss his fifth straight game with a high ankle sprain. Tight end Evan Engram (knee) will miss his second straight game. ... Starting CB Eli Apple practiced the past two days and is listed as probable. He missed the last two games with a hamstring injury. What a week for Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman.There was a benching during a 24-point loss. Criticism from a former teammate. Biting Twitter barbs from an opposing receiver.What better way to cap it all off than a matchup for his Redskins (2-2) on Sunday against Cam Newton and the visiting Carolina Panthers (3-1), the club that abruptly parted with Norman about 2陆 years ago."Old friends. They're coming to town, and I get to see them and go at each other. They know how I am. Trust me. I know how they are. So it's going to be quite an exciting time," Norman said. "I'm looking forward to them. I know (Newton's) got something special cooked up for us."Norman was coming off an All-Pro season and a Super Bowl appearance when the Panthers put the franchise tag on him in March 2016, a move many figured was a precursor to a long-term deal. Fast-forward six weeks, though, and Carolina rescinded the tag offer, allowing Norman to become an unrestricted free agent.Within a couple of days, he signed a $75 million, five-year contract with Washington. For whatever the reason 鈥?and there are various theories out there 鈥?things have not gone all that well for Norman, who turns 31 in December and is currently up to 19 games in a row without an interception.The downswing culminated in Washington coach Jay Gruden's decision to play a rookie instead of Norman coming out of halftime during a 43-19 loss at New Orleans on Monday night.Then came all sorts of theories about what might be wrong with Norman, from his age (courtesy of Saints receiver Michael Thomas) to his interest in becoming a celebrity (brought up by ex-Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall) to the shift from Carolina's zone coverage to Washington's man-to-man principles (referenced by Panthers coach Ron Rivera).Newton, a friend who participates in Norman's charity volleyball tournament, maintains that QBs still need to be wary of the guy."He's not a person who hesitates to take chances, and that's his gift and his curse," Newton said. "I still go into each and every game pointing out who the impact players are on every defense, and he's definitely one of those players."Here are some things to know about the Panthers and Redskins:COUNT ON CAMA Redskins defense that had zero answers against Drew Brees now goes up against Newton, who is having a so-so season thus far but always comes up big against Washington. The 2015 NFL MVP is 4-0 against the Redskins, with nine TDs and zero INTs [url=http://www.authenticsneworleanssaints.com/cheap-hoodie]New Orleans Saints Hoodie[/url] , a passer of rating of 115.4 and two rushing scores. "Cam is a beast, man. He can do it all. He can pass. He can run it. He's an extra running back when he's back there," Redskins safety D.J. Swearinger said. "They've got a long list of good playmakers, man. So we've got our hands full."ROLL TIDEDefensive linemen Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne played together at Alabama, were first-round draft picks the past two years, and account for nearly half of Washington's sacks this season. "They are two guys that I never have to worry about: 'Hey, hustle. Hey, run to the ball.' These guys are always playing hard, playing fast, playing physical," Gruden said, "and you can build around those two cats for a long time."BAND IS BACKThe Panthers are hoping to get back three-time Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen; he broke his right foot in Week 1. "The band is back," Newton said with a big smile. The QB's favorite target for quite some time, Olsen strung together a trio of 1,000-yard seasons before initially injuring his foot in 2017 and missing nine games. If some wonder whether Olsen might be rushing back, he said: "I wouldn't put myself out there if I couldn't help the team."DAVIS RETURNS, TOOCarolina is counting on linebacker Thomas Davis, who returns from a four-game suspension under the league's policy on performance enhancers to give a big lift to a defense that struggled to pressure the quarterback last week. Davis is the team's all-time leading tackler and joins Luke Kuechly to provide what Gruden called "the best linebacking duo in pro football, in my opinion."AP Sports Writer Steve Reed contributed to this report.

(200 symbols max)

(256 symbols max)